em português: http://arteemcadaponto.blogspot.com/


Corrections are welcome!!!

Nov 15, 2010

Russian Gift...

Living in Los Alamos, NM gave me a chance to have contact with different cultures, since there is a lot of people from outside the United States and I attended English classes for foreign (ESL - English as Second Language).
 
Attend courses at the University of New Mexico (UNM - Los Alamos) also gave me friends, some of  them I'll carry in my heart forever. They are very special people: Irina, Aneta and Elizabeth.
 
Elizabeth was our English teacher, same age, she took place in our group so fast. She went  to our meetings - Friday morning, usually at Aneta's home - just to talk while tea kept us warmish from outside.
 
Aneta, from Poland, learned to cross-stitch from me. One day she came to my home, saw my embroideries, and asked if I could teach her. I used all my English "the book is on the table" and I gave a simple pattern to her. I also lent needle and threads to her... and after a week she asked me if she could borrow the Tree pattern (Landscape Magazine - Figure 01) from me, because she would like to try it! I lent it to her ... and my greatest pride, she made it... she framed (which is very expensive here) and she hung it in her living room.... she also never stopped .... When I moved from Los Alamos, NM to Tallahassee, FL, she was beginning her third project!
 
 
Irina, from Russia, also liked needle crafts and fabric and she also had her cross-stitch projects. She gave me, as a Christmas gift, a Russian cross-stitch kit - St. Basil's Cathedral (Собор Василия Блаженного). Genuine Russian - all instructions in Russian - and the thread was not the same material we usually use, it was kind of wool ... very thin .... even difficult to embroider with her because I love to embroider using  long threads, and this one easily unraveled.
 
Figure 01: Собор Василия Блаженного (St Basil's Cathedral)
(17 colors used, stitches: 180 H x 130 W)
 
That's it...

No comments:

Post a Comment